I experimented with some new rice last night. I had found it at the most magical place on Earth – the Bulk Barn (more on that later). I was getting bored of the same old brown rice and brown rice pasta so I decided to mix things up a bit. Living on the wild side, I know!
It’s called: Whole Grain 5 Blend (long grain brown rice, grano, Colusari red rice, sprouted brown rice (YES PLEASE!) and wild rice).
The verdict? Delicious! Definitely loading up on more of that stuff on my next trip to the Bulk Barn.
- 1/4 tsp of pepper, chili powder, turmeric
- 1/2 tsp of coriander and paprika
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil (olive oil or coconut oil as a substitute)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 smal onion, chopped
- 1/2 a chicken breast chopped
- 1/4 cup lentils – cooked or canned
- 1 lime (juice)
Veggies of choice:
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- small handful of baby carrots
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 romano tomato diced
- 1 generous handful of sprouts
- 2 baby potatoes, chopped
- Rice – 1/2 cup of cooked rice (brown, wild, mixed, brown rice pasta)
Cook rice (as per the instructions) while you prepare and cook your stir fry (takes about 30 minutes).
Put the oil in the pan, then spices, then chicken. Next, add your onion, tomato, potatoes, garlic and lime juice. Let simmer for a few minutes. Flip over chicken pieces when they are a brown on one side. While they are simmering, add red bell pepper, spinach and sprouts. Let simmer and mix occasionally. When the rice has cooked add about 1/2 a cup (or however much you prefer) to the pan along with the lentils. Stir and let it sim-simmer (you want the flavours to mix).
This is enough for 2 servings (one for dinner and one for lunch).